Karen Johns- vocals
Kevin Sanders- piano, keys
James Johns- guitars, duet vocals on Angels In the Snow
Brook Sutton- bass
Bart Elliott- drums, percussion
Jim Hoke- saxophones, clarinet
Mark Horwitz- flute, trombone
Ben Graves- mandolin
1. Carry Me Away (3:37) written by Karen L. Johns and Kevin Sanders; horns arranged by Jim Hoke, Vital Force- ASCAP.
2. Night and Day (3:45) written by Cole Porter, Warner Bros. Music- ASCAP.
3. Stars Fell On Alabama (3:16) written by Frank Perkins and Mitchell Parish, Filmtrax Copyright Holdings Inc.; OBO EMI MIUS Music Inc.- ASCAP.
4. While the Moon (4:11) written by Karen L. Johns and Kevin Sanders, Vital Force- ASCAP.
5. Desafinado (Slightly Out of Tune) (2:52) written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Jesse Cavanaugh, Jon Hendricks, and Newton Ferriera De Mendonca, Corcovado Music Corp; Wixen Music Publishing Inc.- BMI.
6. If (4:16) written by David Gates, Sony /ATV Tunes LLC- ASCAP.
7. Company Blues (3:59) written by Kevin Sanders and Brook Sutton, Vital Force- ASCAP.
8. Southland Summer (3:51) written by Karen L. Johns and Kevin Sanders, Vital Force- ASCAP.
9. Autumn Leaves (4:13) written by Johnny Mercer, Joseph Kosma and Jacques Prevert, Morley Music Co. OBO Enock & CIE SDRM- ASCAP.
10. Angels In the Snow (3:10) written by Karen L. Johns and Kevin Sanders, Vital Force- ASCAP.
11. China Town (3:32) written by Karen L. Johns and Kevin Sanders, Vital Force- ASCAP.
Karen's got a good mix of Broadway revue, big band and sultry cafe singer in her voice and arrangements. More singers doing "Carry Me Away" with those gorgeous close harmonies and perhaps we'd have a desperately needed resurgance of the big band era. Alas, when they say styles always come back, they don't refer to music or three-cornered hats.
I wish the cd were a little longer, but the radio-friendly running times will, I hope, keep some of these tracks on jazz play lists. Very pro, and A+ for energy in its variety.