Friday, August 22, 2008

Dawn Lambeth - Let's Get Lost

  • Dawn Lambeth, vocals
  • Clint Baker, guitar, bass
  • Marc Caparone, cornet, bass
  • Dave Caparone, trombone
  • Chris Dawson, piano
  • Jeff Hamilton, drums
  • Bob Reitmeier, clarinet
  • John Reynolds, guitar, banjo, whistling
  • John Smith, soprano & alto saxophone
are giving out with

# 1. Let’s Get Lost
# 2. (I've Got) Beginner's Luck
# 3. My Blue Heaven
# 4. If You Were Mine
# 5. They All laughed
# 6. C’est Si Bon
# 7. Isn’t This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain)
# 8. Give Me the Simple Life
# 9. With A Song In My Heart
# 10. Dream Man
# 11. They Can’t Take That Away From Me
# 12. It Could Happen To You
# 13. I Wish I Were Twins
# 14. I May Be Wrong (But, I Think You’re Wonderful)
# 15. I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues
# 16. Let’s Misbehave
# 17. On the Sunny Side of the Street
# 18. Blue Room

and I can honestly say it's one of the best jazz albums I've heard all year. Dawn doesn't hog anything. This delightful standard jazz album will harken you back to the days of the '30s when a singer was just one of the instruments, not the "leader" or the reason the song exists. She comes in when she feels like it, she takes a vacation when she wants, letting the song go on without her (and not for the sake of others doing solos). I love that. It's what keeps me listening to old big band radio shows.

That, mixed with an able voice from the K.D. Lang camp (without all the whole notes), makes Dawn's release one of the brightest lights in jazz now. Literally, Let's Get Lost is a flashlight, and I hope it shines ahead for imitation!

No comments: